Any time fresh acorn squash hit the shelves of the local grocery store I'm grabbing a few to make this recipe. This sausage stuffed acorn squash is loaded with flavor using just a few ingredient.
Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash - What You Need
To make this recipe there are just a few things you'll need. For the full list of ingredients and amounts check the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Acorn Squash
- Pork Sausage
- Parmesan Cheese
Once you have all the ingredients, putting this together is fairly simple. The first thing you'll want to do is prep your acorn squash.
Slice your acorn squash in half, length wise. Make sure your knife is sharp and this part is easy. I use my 9" slicer and it cuts through no problem. After cutting the acorn squash in half scoop out the seeds with a spoon and then place them on a baking sheet.
Setup your smoker to cook at 375 degrees, and once it's up to temp place the baking sheet with the acorn squash in your smoker. Let them cook for about 45 minutes cut side down.
Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash Filling Prep
While the squash is cooking you can prep the filling. The first thing you'll want to do is brown the sausage. I use a large cast iron skillet for this step on the stove. Once the sausage is browned set it aside in a large bowl.
Dice up the Mushrooms, Onion, and Celery and then cook it in the cast iron skillet you just cooked the sausage in. Once the veggies have cooked throw them in the bowl with the sausage.
In a separate bowl combine the milk, parmesan cheese, and an egg. Mix and then pour into your sausage/veggie mixture.
Once the squash is done cooking remove them from your smoker, and flip each of them over on the same cookie sheet they cooked on. Carefully spoon the filling into each of the acorn squash. If you have any excess filling place it in a small casserole dish to cook separately.
Place the sausage stuffed acorn squash back in your smoker and let them cook for an additional 20 minutes to allow the filling to cook through.
The simplicity of this recipe always amazes me. The prep doesn't take much effort, and the flavors that come out of the filling are a treat for your tastebuds. If you're looking for a fun and tasty recipe, give this one a try, I'm sure you'll like it.
Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 3 Acorn Squash
- 1 lb Pork Sausage
- 4 celery stems
- 1 Cup Mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 Egg
- Cut the acorn squash in half length wise and place cut side down on a cookie sheet.
- Setup your smoker to cook at 375 degrees and cook the squash for 45 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking brown the sausage in a cast iron skillet.
- Place the cooked sausage in a large bowl.
- Dice the veggies and then cook them in the remaining grease from the sausage. Once the veggies are cooked add them to the bowl with the sausage.
- In a separate bowl combine the milk, parmesan cheese, and egg. Mix together and then pour over the sausage and veggies.
- After 45 minutes remove the acorn squash from your smoker and flip them so the cut side is facing up. Carefully fill each squash with the sausage mixture.
- Place the sausage stuffed acorn squash back in the smoker and let them cook for an additional 20 minutes.