I love this smoked buffalo chicken dip recipe. It’s got the perfect amount of flavor, and if you make this for your friends or family, they’ll be begging you to make more.
This smoked buffalo chicken dip recipe is one of my favorite appetizers. It’s easy to make, and perfect for a family get together, or a party for the big game.
You can make this smoked buffalo chicken dip recipe in a cast-iron skillet, but I really prefer to make it in a bread bowl. I eat keto most of the time, so I’m dipping carrots and celery in this dip, but your friends can dig in and use the bread. It’s a win-win!
Another reason I really like using a bread bowl for this recipe is that it can get kind of messy. A little bit of fat cooks off while it’s cooking in the smoker, and the bread will soak up the fat, making it much easier to eat the dip when it’s finished.
What You Need to Make This Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
This is what you need to make this dip (full amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Shredded Chicken – I like to smoke some chicken quarters first and shred them. If you’re short on time, you can buy a whole rotisserie chicken at the store and shred that instead.
- Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Crumbled Bacon
- BBQ Rub
- Frank’s Red Hot
- 2 Large Round Loaf of Bread
Hot to Make Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
One of the reasons I like making this dip is because it’s very easy to make. Once you have all of your ingredients, it just takes a few minutes to prepare and throw on the smoker.
In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients. I like to combine the wet ingredients and the bbq rub first, and then start adding in the drier ingredients like the shredded chicken and cheeses. Mix the ingredients with your mixer and then set off to the side.
If your loaf of bread has already been picked out, great! If not, pick out chunks of bread from the center of the loaf of bread until a nice bowl has been formed. Be sure to keep the walls of the bowl at least 1″ thick. I like to try and keep the chunks that I’m tearing out a little bit larger than a golf ball.
Set the pieces of bread in a bag to save for when the bowl is done cooking.
Smoking Buffalo Chicken Dip
Set up your smoker to smoke at 225 degrees. I like a stronger wood flavor for this recipe like mesquite. I use a Traeger and have also found good success using Oak pellets for this recipe.
Place the bowl on a small sheet pan and then place in your smoker and let it smoke for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes turn up the temperature in the smoker to 400 degrees. Let the bowl cook until the cheese is bubbly, this usually takes another 30 minutes.
I like to eat this smoked buffalo chicken dip recipe with carrots and celery, but it’s great with other veggies too, and of course, it’s fantastic with bread.
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 Round Loaf of Bread – inside picked out
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp BBQ Rub
- 1/3 cup Franks Red Hot a little more if you like spicy
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3-4 slices of crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Combine all of the wet ingredients and the rub, and then mix.
- Fold in all of the dry ingredients except for the blue cheese crumbles.
- Pour the mixture into the bread bowl.
- Place the bowl in a large cast-iron skillet or on a sheet pan and then place in your smoker and smoke at 225 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Adjust heat up to 400 degrees and continue cooking until the cheese is bubbling inside the bowl.
- Top with blue cheese crumbles and then stir together and serve.