I love making food on my smoker, and this smoked pizza fatty recipe is one of my faves. It's not that difficult to make, and everyone in my family loves it. I'm sure you will too! Plan ahead because this recipe does take time to make. Assembly takes about 15 minutes, and total time on the smoker is usually around 4 hours.
It has all the great flavors of your favorite pizza, but without the carbs. Let's dive in to see how to make it.
Smoked Pizza Fatty Ingredients
Before we start making the fatty we need to round up our ingredients. We'll need the following (ingredient amounts listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Ground Beef
- Ground Sausage
- Pepperoni Slices
- Black Olives
- Mushrooms (sliced and cooked)
- Pizza Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- spices (more info in the recipe card)
Once we have all the ingredients, it's time to put the fatty together.
Assembling The Smoked Pizza Fatty
If you've made one of my smoked fatty's before you know this can be the most challenging part of the recipe. I took a picture of each step to make it easier for you to follow along and not have any issues.
The first thing I do is assemble a bacon weave on a piece of wax paper, and then set it off to the side. I use an entire pound of thin sliced bacon to make the weave.
Combine the sausage and ground beef with your spices, and then mix them together. Place the ball of seasoned meat in a gallon zip lock bag. Remove the air from the bag and seal it, and then carefully flatten out the meat so it is in a layer that is the same thickness throughout.
Use a sharp knife to open the zip lock bag on the seams, and then start layering your ingredients. It starts with a healthy amount of pizza sauce that is spread over the meat, followed by black olives and mozzarella cheese. Add a healthy layer of pepperoni, and then more cheese.
Use the zip lock bag to bring the meat together into a loaf, and then use your fingers to seal up the two ends and the main seam. Carefully roll the loaf off of the ziplock and onto your bacon weave. Use the wax paper as a guide to wrap the bacon around the smoked pizza fatty.
Cooking a Smoked Pizza Fatty in Your Smoker
Now that the fatty is assembled, all we have to do is cook it low and slow for a few hours. Set up your smoker to smoke at 225-250 degrees using indirect heat. I used cherry wood for this cook, but oak would work well too.
Let the fatty cook for 3-4 hours (internal temp should hit 155) and then crank up the heat of your smoker to cook at 400. When the internal temp hits 165 you can pull it off the smoker. This last step will help crisp up the bacon a little bit.
Let the smoked pizza fatty rest for about ten minutes before slicing into it and marveling at all that pizza goodness inside. I like to serve these in slices that are about one inch thick, with extra pizza sauce on the side.
I hope you have a chance to give this recipe a try! If you do, let me know what you think in the comments below or tag your photos on Instagram with @smokedmeatsunday.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my smoked Philly cheesesteak fatty too!
Smoked Pizza Fatty
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 lb bacon sliced thin
- 1 cup Mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp pizza sauce
- 1 can black olives 2.25 oz, drained
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms cooked
- ½ pound pepperoni sliced thin
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic
- ½ tsp onion
- 1 tsp black pepper
- create a bacon weave on a piece of wax paper and then set off to the side.
- combine the beef and sausage with the meat seasoning, and then place in a gallon zip lock.
- flatten out the meat in the ziplock so it's an equal thickness throughout.
- open the ziplock using a knife at the seams on each side.
- layer the pizza sauce, followed by the olives, mozzarella, pepperoni, and more mozzarella.
- use the zip lock to help roll the meat into a loaf, being careful not to let the toppings come out. Use your fingers to seal the ends and the main seam.
- Roll the loaf onto your bacon weave, and then use the wax paper to wrap the bacon weave over the loaf.
- Place in your smoker and smoke at 225-250 degrees until the internal temperature hits 155 degrees.
- At 155 increase the temperature to 400 and continue to cook until the internal temp hits 165.
- Let the fatty rest for about 15 minutes before slicing into 1 inch slices and serving with a side of pizza sauce.